Saturday, December 3, 2011

Still Life with Sand Sculpture

This image is based on a photograph I took in very low light levels. I didn’t really expect the photo to come out but it did. I was so taken by the image that I had to try and make an etching of it. I used a reduction aquatint technique which involves etching the entire plate and then, using burnisher and scrapper, removing the etched metal to reveal the image. This is similar to the process used in mezzotint and scratchboard drawing. The image itself evokes a holiday spirit with the bright candles. It also has a mysterious quality with the sand sculpture and candles rising out of a dark background.

The image size of this print is 9 7/8 by 8 inches. There is only one plate. There is no edition. There are a total of four prints: one in black and white, one in all red, and two that are a combination of the black and red images. These latter prints were made by inking and printing the red plate, cleaning off the plate, re-inking it in black, and then printing it over the red print. I added some yellow to the highlights using a la poupee.


No comments:

Post a Comment