Sunday, April 18, 2010

Sun Rising II


This is a small, simple subject that I used to develope the pointillist etching technique. Since I was concentrating more on the technique, I chose a simple subject with an astronomical feeling that comes from my interest in astronomy and space. I have been interested for many years in the pointillist technique developed by George Seurat in painting, but I could not think of how this would be implemented as an etching. I thought about it for many years before I began to see how I might be able to do it, but I needed to test my ideas.

This is a three plate aquatint. The image is 3 by 4-1/2 inches. Because I was experimenting with the technique, I did one stage to work out the process and a second stage to enhance the depth of color in the image. As a result, there are two editions of 5 each: Sun Rising I is the first stage and Sun Rising II is the second stage. This image is from the second stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment