Sunday, April 18, 2010

Madonna - YellowOrangeRed


This is my favorite subject of all of my etchings. It is a complex subject and was a complex project. It is one of my earlier etchings. The only way I can explain the title is to think of the pointillist painting by George Seurat, "The Grande Jatte"

(http://www.artchive.com/artchive/S/seurat/jatte.jpg.html).

In that painting, there is a Victorian couple in the foreground facing to the left. Imagine that image and the shape of the woman, but facing to the right. Then you can imagine what I see as the central subject of this image. That is a complicated and obscure explanation, but I can't think of any other way to express what I see in this abstract-geometric image.

This is a two plae etching/aquatint plus viscosity roll. It took me two years thinking about this before I realized that I had to have the second plate. The image is 14 by 17-3/4 inches. There is no edition but there are twelve monoprint versions: 5 are in two colors and 7 are three colors.

No comments:

Post a Comment